I won't delve too much into the play by play. Instead I'll just provide a few stats on the race...provide a list of some highlights and then wrap it up for the year.
Where: Marin Headlands
Max Elevation: 1800 Feet
Minimum Elevation: 0 Feet
Total Elevation Gain: 10,059 Feet
Total Mileage: 51.2 Miles
My Finishing Time: 10:15:35
My Average Pace: 12:01 min/mile
Winning Time: 6:19:00
Winning Pace: 7:24
|Still smiling...40+ miles in|
- Seeing a train of runners headlamps snaking up the initial ascent at 5:00 AM.
- Sunrise over the golden gate and San Francisco. I wish I had a camera on me but I doubt I would've been able to capture how awesome this was.
- Sharing the coastal trail (and all the trails for that matter) with 300 other like minded individuals.
- Making it to the top of the first big climb and thinking "Wait is that it?" Honestly...for some reason I expected that first big climb to be a killer...I pretty much just waltzed up it. (Slowly)
- Bombing down the Dipsea Trail...then stuffing my face full of food and powerhiking/running back up it.
- Passing all the hikers while I was bombing downhill to Muir Woods. I was 34 miles into a race and felt fantastic.
- Absolutely nailing my race day nutrition. I basically ate solid food at each aid station, sticking mainly with PBJ, Oranges, Bananas and a few cookies while supplementing with a gel or two in between stations. I also took an electrolyte tablet every hour and 20 minutes. The chicken broth I drank at a couple stations probably helped too.
- Finishing up with an average pace of 7:50 over the last 3 miles.
|Hopefully I'll be running this again in May|
First I should brew a batch of beer though...I still haven't gotten around to writing that first beer entry...
Here are a few pictures we took the monday after the Race. I wanted to show Brandi the headlands so we drove out and retraced some of the race.
|Heading out to Muir beach, thankfully this sand was not part of the race|
|Me recreating the race atmosphere for Brandi|
|Somehow I figured out how to levitate|
|Looking down the coast...rad views|
|Playing around with the panorama mode|
|I was still hungry so I decided to eat a jelly fish|